Saturday, May 31, 2008

I did it!



That's me coming in to the finish line of my 10 kilometer race this morning. It was hot and sunny and at started at 4 PM, all things I'm not used to when I've been running, and it was a strange experience to have to start out running in a crowd and trying to weave around and pace myself in the midst of so many different runners. My friend Florence who has been "training" with me didn't want to actually do the race, so my friend Lucy ran with me though we had only run together once before. I did the race in one hour (and 22 seconds).That was my goal and I did it! I feel great, but my legs are a little sore at the moment! At the end of the race we all got a rose, a t-shirt, and a cool travel hanging toilet kit. There were many friends along the way that cheered us on- all 2000+ participants!! Miette watched with a group of grown-up friends and we saw other parents and their kids from her school both as spectators and (moms) as runners.

My thanks to Juliet for the initial inspiration to try a race!

5 comments:

Catalina said...

EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realise!!!!! :(

I could be there.....with another flower and my camera....snif...

So great you did it!!!!!

Quelle brave fille! :) Bisous

Richard said...

Wow,Eva, way to go!!!!
I am so impressed and inspired by your amazing achievement. By my calculations, you ran under 10 min. miles (9.7 minutes/mile) - REMARKABLE. Obviously this is just one more commendable talent to add to your list of many others. I'm so proud of you. Congratulations!
With love and awe, Debby

Nancy Gift said...

Woohoo! That's great Eva. So are you addicted to it? :) You have already beat any 10K time I ever got. :)

I've been thinking I need to start a Suburban Triathalon: reel mowing 1/2 acre, biking to work, and carrying children in a backpack or sling while grocery shopping.

Thanks for keeping up with our chickens. Nothing like a bit loss to make me love the remainings ones all the more.

Brenda said...

Eva, Dad read a piece in the New Yorker this week written by a Japanese author who started running at the same age as you. I'll send it after I read it (it's the fiction issue). Next year you'll have to run in the Flying Pig Marathon! Good Work!

Ser said...

I'm only checking in on you now, after several weeks, but congratulations! You look so beautiful running. When are you moving back to Chicago?