Saturday, May 3, 2008

There's a place in France...

where the ladies wear no pants- but the men don't care cause they're in their underwear. Well, that's not true (so far as I've seen), but I just felt that the toplessness at the beach deserved a blog post of it's own, and the old song we chanted as kids popped back into my head.

YES. They do go topless here, and it's a free for all. We spotted a bit of it last September but the weather was already cooling down and beach season wasn't in full swing. But today was hot and the beach was packed with topless women and men in speedos. Liberté - Egalité - Fraternité (sororité?) All ages, all shapes, all sizes. It's all very cool and nonchalant, a totally not-for-show, comfortable in our skins kind of thing. As I reflected on bared breasts at the beach, I saw one of my students walk by, notice me, and come over to say hello. And I thought, "And now, if I was missing half my bikini, what kind of situation would this be?"

Still debating what picture should accompany this post........

1 comment:

Nancy Gift said...

Eva-
My cousin Mary told me a story about David, my bio dad, being at one of the nude beaches in France he frequented. After several miles of walking, he went into a bar (cafe?) and donned a towel upon entry, making the waitress ask him, "Vous avez froid?"

That is one scene I am very glad to not have a photo of!