Monday, May 5, 2008

Twittering little girl




Miette had a friend from school sleep over last night. They had come up with a plan to go together to this neighborhood festival that took place yesterday then come back here for a sleepover and go to school together the next morning (today). Her friend's mother and I agreed with the plan on the condition that they were in bed and asleep on time so they wouldn't be tired for the school day. All went well except for the impression that my child had turned into a French bird on amphetamines. Chirp chirp chirping away in French. Miette took it upon herself to remind me that Marie didn't speak English and to correct my pronunciation of things in French and to make jokes and was basically talking non-stop until they fell asleep at night and when they woke up until I dropped her off at school. It was if she had turned into a different animal. She never talks so much and so quickly when she speaks English! What is going on? It was cute and very annoying at the same time. She was making bad puns in French! (THAT is a talent she inherited from her good old Dad, I guess it doesn't matter what language she's speaking.)

Otherwise, we have had a beautiful weekend of warm weather and relaxed activities. The doors and windows have been open to let in the breeze and the warmth and we dined al fresco on the balcony for lunch on Sunday. The only downside to this is that the spiders are back and they've obviously had an easy winter- they are big, scary, and they bite. We caught the biggest one yet yesterday- the photo isn't great but I'm posting it anyway because I want you to see the beast. Hopefully you can get a sense of scale from the picture.

1 comment:

marji said...

Wow! That's a big spider! We had another jumping one in the garden workroom today. As agreed, I slid it into a cup and relocated it outside. I'm OK with them in their environment ... which I'd have to say is not on top of a box of chocolates!
Thank you for your encouraging words over on my blog. I had fallen off the blog wagon but hope to get back on. Connecting with the Friday lunchettes makes it very gratifying.

I took a quick look at your posts. The photos are amazing. The kids are just gorgeous. I'll skip over that other piece of news (may not be coming back to chicago) until you tell more.
love from here to there.