Monday, October 15, 2007

Fall weather brings homesickness.



Well, autumn is usually a time of turning inward and stoking the home fires, preparing the nest for winter to come. In our case I think it is heightening the sense that France isn't really our home and there's a little heartache going around. I think now that the preliminary installation is over, the newness worn off, and all of our beloved are so far away it feels a bit lonely at the moment for all of us. Miette especially had a hard night tonight. She is especially missing her daddy and needing a friend. I think in part because she has been quite stoic and very resilient about things so far she's been sort of overdue for an emotional spell. After her crying jag the three of us all cuddled together in our pyjamas under the covers in the bottom bunk and read lots and lots of stories. Books are such constant friends!

Aside from that, I did have my first class today which was a piece of cake. I also used the bike that I got this weekend for the first time to get there and back and found it exciting to finally be able to zip around the city. There are hills here which is hard to get used to after biking only in eternally flat Chicago. The streets are about half as wide and though sometimes they have a bike lane, it still feels tight and somewhat intimidating. i also felt i crossed more territory in such a short time that the city seemed to open up to me in a new way. I'll have to use some of my morning free time to do a little vélo-adventuring.

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I posted a request for people to send american "stuff" for me to use in my classes, I also would love to have some photos of everyone to put up in the apartment. I didn't bring any and feel like we need a little altar here to friends and family. It would mean a lot to us!

3 comments:

Evie said...

Hi Eva! It's Eva! I hope you don't mind that your excellent blog was sent via the mother grapevine.

I plan to immediately put together some postcards from here (here being Alabama now, don't know if you knew) to send to you for your classes. Do you still need beans? I'd be happy to send those too.

I was so confused by the picture of your mother until I realized it was you. In my head you still look like Miette does now. I'm all sorted out now, though.

And in case you haven't been told in the last five minutes, you are an amazing mother and you have amazing children!

Eva a.k.a Eva P. a.k.a Evie

Megan said...

Hi Eva! We are feeling much the same way here....John's sister came to visit for a few hours and left the girls bereft...Also, every day this week when I picked up Solveig at Sunflower, Edel asks me when you are coming back! She misses you terribly.

Anyway, I will get around to sending you some photos as soon as I can! Picturing you and the kids all cozy with books in bed is heartwarming. XOXO
Megan

Brenda said...

Lovely pictures Eva! Mom