Saturday, October 13, 2007

Birthday party and bike

Today Miette was invited to the birthday party of her classmate Apolline. I called to see how they "do parties" here and whether parents usually stay or not and how many kids would be going and was given an open invitation to stay or go as I wished. I ended up staying. This family does not live in the neighborhood, which is rare, so I got to see a different area of town and got to know some other fellow parents as well beyond the everyday pleasantries. There were about 10 french kids all from her class and a couple other parents stayed for the whole party like me. The kids played in the back garden for a couple hours then had cake, opened presents and then made things with clay at the end. I was impressed because they had real clay! The kids had fun until the moment when other parents were arriving to pick up their kids and Mimi and Jules started to melt down. Tired and blood sugar levels crashing, we got a ride home with another family back to our neighborhood. Miette had her usual Saturday half-day of school this morning and then she showered and dressed, ate lunch and headed out to find a present, went to the party and by the end of the day we were all ready to crash. But regardless, it felt good to spend a weekend day with other kids and families. For the sake of the kids, I really need to put myself out there to make rendez-vous for the kids on days off school so its not always just us getting stuck in a routine and to help them be closer with other kids their ages.Apolline's parents are closer to my age than the average of most other parents at La Genette, artistic, and well dressed...... her father is a graphic designer and her mother used to own 2 children's consignment boutiques so we have a lot in common with each other!

Well I too am exhausted now, not so much from a long day but it's getting late here now and I need to take care of myself so I'm "en pleine forme" for starting real teaching this week! Next time I write, I'll have to share more details on the different classes, school, and teachers wth whom I'll be working . There are some pretty drastic differences between them all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you that you're getting out so much and meeting so many people! The dog poop thing cracks me up--it's the one detail David and I never tell about our honeymoon in Nice. It really is everywhere!

Keep on keepin' on!
Sharla

Lhamo Osel said...

I am now avidly reading the blog; many thanks for sharing so much with us. So why does the title say "and bike"? Inquiring minds want to know!

eva said...

regarding the fact that i left anything about a bike out of this post: i was very tired and trying to write but hit a wall and forgot that i had titled it birthday AND bike- because that was the other thing about the weekend- i finally had landed a bike which had been one of the last things on my to-do list. so i intended to incude that news and didn't. there you go- pure forgetfulness!