Sunday, January 27, 2008

no mustache

Julian has been very interested in the inner working of the human body lately and consequently we have checked out various books for children on the subject from the Mediathèque. He is also fascinated and confused about growing up- how it happens and what it entails. I think he has associated the fact that he goes to school with being bigger and maybe thinks growing up means being away from home more, more school, less of the nurture and privilege of being the little one? There is also fixation on the details of our inner workings- how food makes its way through from in to out, how his bones keep him together and how they could break too. But as we were reading one of the books tonight before bed- it was telling about how when you get bigger girls chests grow and boys get facial hair and have to shave- he said, "I won't ever grow a mustache will I? Because I don't know how to shave." I told him it was no big deal, he would learn how to shave when he got bigger too, and that pretty much all boys will get mustaches at some point, but he wouldn't for a long long time.... and he was adamant that I reassure him that he would NOT ever get a mustache, he does not want one, and that he will not be able to shave. So I'm not sure which is the main fear, hair growing on his face or shaving, but he seemed really quite worried about these things forecast for his future. Very funny that he thinks that I can promise that it wouldn't happen. I still hold the power of a god in his world sometimes, I suppose.

3 comments:

marji said...

Eva! I just read Ser's latest post and saw your comment. I can't tell you how many times I have thought about you. It is great to glimpse through your posts to catch up a little. It almost seems like we're all at the virtual Point now!
Loved this post ... I'll be back!

Ser said...

Hey Eva,

I'm so glad to hear from you! Thanks for your kind words on my blog.

I love this post. It is so funny what kids decide might be scary in their future. Luke, for quite some time, wanted me to promise him that he could bring his toys up to heaven if he were to die. But sometimes he would start crying and say, "But skeletons can't hold things!"

It is amazing how much power our words have for them. Scary, too.

Like Marji, I'll be back.

Brenda said...

Dad says that mustaches are good. He used to have a really wonderful one. Dad's hairlessness may be reassuring to Julian for the time being...Were you reading books about the body in English or French? Mom