Sunday, January 20, 2008

A picture wouldn't describe...

How lovely our day has been! It is probably 60 degrees outside and sunny with blues skies. In January. I could stop there! But I won't- we just got home from a walk along the ocean in the direction away from town which I discovered the other day when I headed out on my own for a stroll. I knew the kids would enjoy discovering this unexplored territory so we took advantage of this beautiful Sunday to walk down there. There is a bike & foot path running alongside the water with large rocks separating the two. The tide was out and Miette, ever the nature explorer, wanted to climb down and explore the tide pools to see if there were shells, urchins, etc. So we joined her and popped seaweed, collected snail shells, rocks, and sea glass, and examined all the nooks and crannies in between the boulders. After a while, we headed back up to the path and crossed the street to check out a little pond and the playground on the other side. Near the playground we found the best climbing tree for Miette in which she climbed so high she was completely hidden by the leaves. Then we saw a bike and skate park across the street from there and skipped across to watch the kids perform their tricks. Of course, I brought my camera along and had been taking pictures of the decorative ironwork on fences and homes along the way down, and as soon as we got to the beach, my battery died. But I was thinking to myself that any picture still wouldn't have captured the sound of the waves, the smell of the sea-air and the overall atmosphere of relaxed peacefulness amidst all the people on their Sunday strolls by the water. It was a magnificent morning.

2 comments:

Nancy Gift said...

I so wish we could have been there with you all. Sounds just heavenly, and reminds me of some of the outings our family used to take to Indiana Dunes.

Brenda said...

I hope you will take us there when we come to visit in February. Walking and exploring your new environment is what I look forward to. Mom