Monday, January 14, 2008

Is it time for a (hair) change? SONDAGE!




Well, I'm going to indulge myself in hair talk. I need advice. As those of you who have known me for a long time can attest, I have had a history of impulsive haircutting decisions. Finally I've passed some years without changing much and now whether or not it's drastic, I desperately need a haircut. It's downright ragged and the ends are destroyed. So rather than rushing into some crazy new hairstyle, I thought I'd ask everyone what they think. I could easily go just get a trim and tidy things up, mostly leaving my hair as it is. OR I could try something a little more fun. And I want some input. I was at a café this afternoon with a couple friends and talking about this subject and thus lifting my hair this way and that to get an idea of different styles and the waiter came over and asked if I was thinking about getting a new hairdo I explained that I was thinking about whether it would look good if I did a bob like this and that but I didn't have the right vocabulary in french. So he interjects oh, you want a "carré plongeant dégradé avec frange balayé." (layered plunging bob with swept-over bangs) I said why yes, that sounds exactly right. But how the hell does this waiter man know this hair terminology? Well, it turns out that he used to be a hairdresser. Just my luck.

So, let's have some opinions please. Keep it as it is, and just get a trim OR the above bob style (somewhere between chin and shoulder length) or other ideas? PLEASE humor me and leaving your comment. I am posting pictures I just took to show its current state, one showing how all the girls are wearing their bangs (balayé), and one pulled up to give an idea of it if it was shorter.

14 comments:

sylvie d said...

ok listen to me I am Parisian after all Eva! It will have to be a bob but with a little hedge to it!
So in short, neck lenght at the back and longer in te front so that you outline your chin, a slightly quircky
version...you don't want to be all classical and become La Rochelle like BCBG! Voila c'etait mon opinion prend la a la legere ou non ;-)

Bob said...

I agree with Sylvie. If you've thought about it this much nothing less than a big change will satisfy. I've always been a fan of the forward sloping line and think you'd rock it very well (._.)

Carmen said...

So...I think you should chop it! You've got great hair, but rock the bob it's tres chic!!! I like it when it's short, it frames your face better. I've got uber short hair at the moment. Glad you had a great holiday! Me too. I'll send you a tell all with all the happenings. Happy B-Day Jullian! Big #4! whoo hoo! Listen to Sylvie.

Richard said...

(It's Debby using Richard's log in)
You have gorgeous hair that has looked terrific in a whole variety of styles, so there is no wrong decision. But the very fact that you stated "or something a little more fun" tells me this is the way to go. Change is always refreshing and the bob will make you feel like a new woman...I say go for it. Debby
P.S. We want "after" pics too.

Eva said...

Eva - I agree you are beautiful all ways but I think the waiter has it right got with the carré plongeant dégradé avec frange balayé or something like that. I want after pics too:-)

Chuck said...

I concur! Go somewhere nice and stylish (even better, get a recommendation) so that the hairdresser will bring out all the internal chic you naturally possess-- I am in favour of responding to the impulse for the chop when it arises. I think the carré will suit your face quite well. I would caution against too severe of a wedge shape, as I sometimes think the wedge can get barfy when it's too high in back or too thick-- But I do agree with others that a bit of angularity is good, even essential, to prevent it being a soccer mom bob. You'll look gorgeous!

cris said...

Eva, it's been ages.... I agree that you should chop it, I think that it will be very freeing for you- I just chopped my hair off and it feels great, so maybe I'm projecting. But I think that you're ready for a change and you won't be happy with a simple trim.
So I am voting for the bob and I like Sylvie's suggestion- shorter in the back- go for it! (and you'd better show us the after pics!)
xoxo

Seldon Yuan said...

i like the first 2 picts. but it's hard to tell how it will hang in real life (and how the ends will go (flip out flip in or be straigh). i'm no girl so i dont' understand this physics and geology of hair.

but i think you would look nice with the shorter hair... but i like shorter hair on girls more than long hair.

and in the summer i shave my head... but that has nothing to do with you or the fact that i'm 5 ft 10 and 150 lbs and black as night.... what?

Lhamo Osel said...

I think you should do something radical and most of all, FRENCH. If all the beautiful local women are wearing the bob/bangs/thingy, then surely you should do it. I have just cut off ALL my hair in the name of 2008 simplicity and I am mighty pleased with the big change. Think impermanence, do something big.

cat said...

okay i commented then lost it... eva: i love your long locks! i recently cut my very long hair into short hair and didn't regret it at all. i grow it for 2 years then cut short, and keep the braid -- for when i apprentice a wig maker when there's enough. you'll look so nice with it edgy and short. cut it and upload a pic. the kids are gorgeous. /cat

Richard said...

You already know what I'm going to say, Don't you?

No
No
No,
just a trim !
But, after-all, it is Your Hair !
You'll look great no matter what you do!
Richard

katie f said...

this is hysterical!! - all these people taking all this time just to comment on your hair. you've been wanting to cut it for a while. and the real question is, why not? your hair looks fabulous and wonderful at all times, regardless of length or style. i think the cut should have movement to it - nothing too, too edgy.... c'mon, you just turned thirty - time for a chop!
love you,
katie

Brenda said...

I have always like your hair when it is short. We used to call it a pixie in the 60's. The natural curl comes out but you don't have to worry about which way it goes. If it is long around your face it could flip out! If you get the bob and it isn't quite right you can always get it cut shorter. staying tuned...Mom

sabrina small said...

Bowl cut mullet! You are the only pixie-face that can pull this haircut off and it's a way to save some of your length and still have a big change. they're all the rage in Berlin.