Thursday, November 29, 2007

french

Well, Julian is finally letting on to the fact that he hears french all day... he has told me how to say three things in french! I'm sure he's getting much more than that, just as I''m sure he does more all day than he can ever remember to tell me, but for now, he has told me that in french banana is "banane" and that blue is "bleu" (both pronounced very well in french despite the hilarious fact that the first 2 words he's chosen to tell me are practically identical to english- but still, he recognizes the difference!) and today he said, "you know how they say I'm coming, I'm coming quickly"? -J'arrive" wow. cool. maybe he'll actually learn the correct genders of things without even knowing it. Miette, though she is speaking french like she's been here forever (really, she sometimes has to think for a minute before she describes things from school in english because I think she remembers them in french) she still has trouble with le and la. But nevertheless, she's acing spelling tests, even with all those pesky accents and silent letters and her teacher says she's better in grammar than many of her classmates! Not the be the proud mother or anything...

2 comments:

readyforit said...

Be the proud mother Eva - your kids are geniuses.

Chuck said...

This is fantastic! If only we could all be so lucky as to learn by osmosis! Tell Julian, "bien fait!" and tell Miette, "Moi aussi, j'ai du mal à me souvenir des genres." And how is Mama's français progressing? I am positively "verte" with envy... Missing and love you all.